Thursday, September 22, 2011

Spring In Full Swing.

It's a lovely day.
Breezy, sunshiny and new tools have arrived!! ♥


I have finally got a new pot of flux - was tempted to buy the borax cone/dish...but it cost another $10 or so. I have always been happy with this flux, so I figured I would stick with it. I got a new firebrick, new sparex pickle, new crosslock tweezers etc. I can't to use one new particular tool that I got to teach myself something new.

Below are pictures of my latest PMC3 experiments. I purchased some cold mold putty to make my own molds and it is such great stuff. So below are pieces I made with shells from my own collection, I am sure I have more somewhere, but don't quite know where......




This picture is of my work area. Not sure that I have shown a picture of it before (cept for the view). It's a bit chaotic at the moment, because I am trying to sort out stuff since the arrival of the mill - speaking of which, Hubs bolted it down for me on the weekend and I have barely tried it out yet...not in the mood to yet. . .


I like to work in a pretty clean area...I'm a bit anal when it comes to organisation and work...I can't really do one without the other. I hope to make a proper bench soon too...we have found the timber, just have to find the time and money, everything is about time and money isn't it?! :(

There is so much I would like to write here. This past week has been a very stressful one, my emotions are on a roller coaster, but I want to try and keep this blog solely about my hobby. Apart from the obvious (my little family) this hobby is the only thing that gives me any joy and I'd like it to continue for as long as possible....I'm sure you other smithers out there can relate :)

By for now
Em ♥


6 comments:

SilverLinesJewelry said...

First of all these Shells are G O R G E O U S!!! Makes want to try with PMC again...
And yes, I can really relate..jewelry is the only thing that gives me joy these days...

littlecherryhill said...

Making molds then using PMC is loads of fun! Shame about it's price though :(

My Creative Community said...

Love the shells! Beautiful! Nice to have jewelry making as a positive outlet, isn't it? Plus having new tools always brings with it some new inspiration perhaps?

littlecherryhill said...

Sabine - Jewellery making (or any of my hobbies) have been such a God send for me, the thought of not being able to do it anymore makes me quite sad. I just so wish I had stumbled upon it much much earlier. And yes, new tools usually means inspiration :)

Susan - Era Art Jewelry said...

Em ~

Your pmc shells turned out amazing! Your work is so wonderful, so clean, so perfect. I love looking at it. Nice work!

I was a stay at home mom of two and so happy I could be. Wouldn't have wanted it any other way, but like anything, it has it's hard parts, too. It sounds like you may be feeling a bit of a tug in opposite directions? You want to be at home and raise Summer, but finding time to do what you love is difficult, and without the necessary time to do it, you feel like you're not getting where you want to be as fast as you'd like or feel you need to? If I've got it wrong or am out of line, my apologies. It's just sad to hear you so down. You're a beautiful, young, talented woman, with a happy, healthy, beautiful daughter. You've got amazing talent, an awesome set-up for your work area and so many wonderful tools to work with. And... it sounds like you also have a pretty supportive husband, which is really great.

If it helps... just know, that it does get better. The older Summer gets, the less she'll need you. Before you know it, she'll be in school and your days will be quite different.

I didn't start metalsmithing until a few years ago, and I'm old enough to be your mom. Just think how much experience you'll have making jewelry when Summer is old enough to have kids.

Sometimes I wish I had been younger when I started. Then I'd be where I wish I was now. I need more time to spend at it, too, but I also have other responsibilities. Then I think about the journey and how great it is on the way to where I want to be and how lucky I am to have found something I truly love doing. And, I get to do it!

I wonder if you know of someone with a child or children who would be interested in swapping days once or twice a week; you take her child for a day, and vice versa. Then you'd have a whole day to spend at the bench. Perhaps you know of a friend or family or day care where Summer could spend one or two days or half days a week. The interaction with other kids gives them a chance to experience a different environment and helps prepare them for kindergarten and school. I know day care here is VERY expensive here and sometimes that's not an option.

Sounds like you need some time for Em, and you shouldn't feel bad or guilty about that. When you're getting your needs met, it'll help you meet the needs of your family's better, because you're happier and healthier. There's nothing wrong or bad about needing alone time, except if you're not getting it.

Life's short, baby! You need to be bein' happy!!!

With all sincerity,
♥s

littlecherryhill said...

Hi Susan, Thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. You are right that I am being tugged in 2 different directions. I want to be the best mum I can be, so therefore going and 'playing' at the bench for too long can leave me feeling guilty. But without dedicating the time to it I can't get ahead and I really want to as I have so many things I want to learn/do. But I want to have zero regrets with raising my daughter. I want her to always look back and remember that I put her first no matter what sacrifices I have to make in regards to selfish persuits.

It's just a case of trying to get the right balance. My daughter is a super full on little girl (I'm always getting comments about it from strangers). I wouldn't give up the chance to be a SAHM for anything! Summer is my world and that's all there is to it. I just wish for a break at times, but can't always have one. I don't cope well with stress either, which makes things hard when my daughter constantly wants attention.

Anyways things are okay at the moment and I hope that they stay that way for a while. Thanks again so much for taking the time to write to me to help me feel better :) much appreciated! ♥